Archive

Posted on Jan 17th, 2012

Gecko condo phase 1 is complete! It is now up to the same point it would be if purchased commercially. 315 gallons worth of gecko housing is ready for the next steps...

1. Build supports and bottom cabinet (completed except some paint)2. Build the 3 tanks that make up the condo3. Line up and drill the holes for securing the tanks to the supports.4. Build the skirts for between levels.

At this point the project will be equivalent to the commercial gecko condos that cost $3,000 plus. I have everything purchased for the above and am a bit under $1,000 for all plastic, wood,... more

Posted on Jan 8th, 2012

Back from a holiday visit to Wisconsin! With the basic frames of the tank together it was time to move on to the next step, adding in the plastic bits that will serve both as stabilizers for the main walls and as guides for the removable partitions and the tops of the tanks.  The first thing I need to do is measure out the proper spacing for the partition guides and then tape them into place. I used a 1/4" thick piece of MDF to keep the spacing between the guides accurate and to make things easier on me. I then taped them into place and applied the weldon-4 to bond them to the main tank.... more

Posted on Dec 19th, 2011

Yesterday I put together the external portion of the first level of the condo. I took much longer breaks than I needed to so things could cure. I am going to try and get a second one done tonight so will be giving it less time to rest between joins.

My main tools in this are:

Weld-on-4 - An acrylic solvent about as viscous as water that I use to bond the pieces together. This nearly identical to Weld-on 3 only it gives you about a 30 second work time if something shifts, where Weld-on 3 gives you essentially no work time.

Weld-on 16 - Like Weld on 4 only... more

Posted on Dec 17th, 2011

After some re-work of the initial design of Gecko Condo and consulting with various people online I ended up changing the design some from the first post on gecko condo. The main changes are that I will be going with steel to use as the primary supports rather than acrylic, and that I will be adding a storage cabinet to the bottom to contain the misting system and supplies.  Here is an exploded view of the new support system:

I have the steel and have drilled more the dozens of rivet and bolt holes to mount... more

Posted on Nov 10th, 2011

In the 14 years that I have been keeping and working with reptiles I have accumulated quite the mish-mash of cages and other housing   What I really want to do is reduce some clutter and build an atheistically pleasing housing that can be broken down into separate parts, has some ability to change its capacity, is easy to clean, can hold its humidity fairly well, and can hold multiple animals at once. Systems like this exist to be purchased but are crazy expensive. See these two samples:

... more

Posted on Nov 10th, 2011

Its getting to be about that time of year where there isn't much else I can do for the hives but button them up and hope for the best!  That isn't entirely true, of course, but it is too cold to feed sugar syrup any more.  One hive ended up absconding in late September, my strongest one all year is now worrying me a great deal, and the hive that started off the year by killing its first queen before she was even out of the queen cage is doing the best by far! I guess those bees know what they were doing when they put out the assassination order.

I picked up some Fondant a couple... more

Pages

Latest News

Posted on July 10, 2013
Posted on July 8, 2013
Posted on July 6, 2013
Posted on June 3, 2013